So today’s topic is Top Ten Best Book Friendships of 2016 (Readers/Bloggers choice of best); So up for Best (insert topic choice here by blogger) I’ve gone with bookish duos, trios, or teams! I usually do couple every year, but this year I decided to share the love to the great friendships, may it be a romantic pair with awesome friendship, to a groups of friends that put their friends first!
Friends are from books I’ve read in 2016. There may or may not be quotes that may or may not be a little spoilerish (which will be kept to a minimal). In no particular order, here are a bunch of friends that I love!
BEST BOOK FRIENDSHIPS in 2016
(01) Sweet Little Lies/The Trouble with Mistletoe: The Heartbreak Bay gang – I love that even though each book has a “main couple”, the group of great friends are always there, to bring the laughs, the teasing, the advise, and showing their support!
Willa came around to Finn’s side of the bar. She was tiny, barely came up to his shoulder, but she was like a mother cat when riled. He knew better than to go toe to toe with her, especially when she was giving him The Look. But he wasn’t in the mood. “No,” he said.
“You don’t even know what I’m going to say.”
“You’re going to say I’m being a stupid guy,” Finn said. “But newsflash, I am a guy and sometimes we’re stupid. Deal with it.”
“I wasn’t going to say that.” She paused when he slid her a look and she sighed. “Okay, fine, I was. But you are being stupid.”
(02) A Promise of Fire/Breath of Fire: Beta Team (Griffin, Carver, Finn, Kato + Cat + the rest of Griffin’s Family) – These guys are so badass. I love how they’re always there to protect each other. But I especially love that they tease each other mercilessly.
Kaia frowns. “Are you supposed to threaten us?” She turns to Griffin, flouncing prettily in her seat. “Is Cat supposed to threaten us?”
He nods. “It means she likes you.”
“That doesn’t make any sense.” Kaia smiles brightly anyway. “I like you too, Cat.”
Griffin grins, obviously pleased with himself
(03) Crooked Kingdom: Kaz, Inej, Nina, Matthias, Jesper and Wylan – I just love this ragtag team and I loved seeing how they became a family that would do anything for each other. No mourners, no funerals.
But they were his first friends, his only friends, and Wylan knew that even if he’d had his pick of a thousand companions, these would have been the people he chose.
(04) A Gathering of Shadows: Kell & Rhys – I love this brotherly duo. They’re pretty opposite in personality, but they make an amazing pair. I love their banter and bromance.
“What brings you to my room?” he asked, relief bleeding into annoyance.
“Adventure. Intrigue. Brotherly concern. Or,” continued the prince lazily, “perhaps I’m just giving your mirror something to look at besides your constant pout.”
Kell frowned, and Rhy smiled. “Ah, there it is! That famous scowl.”
(05) Truthwitch: Safiya & Iseult – Despite Safiya driving me insane a lot of the time, I loved loved this amazing bad-ass friendship between Safiya and Iseult! Threadsisters for’eva!
Why not just me?”
“Because ‘just me’ isn’t who we are,” Iseult hollered back. “I’ll always follow you, Safi, and you’ll always follow me. Threadsisters to the end.”
(06) The Dark Days Club: Helen and Darby – When Lady Helen’s whole life changes, her maid Darby is there for her. I love this bond! Can’t wait for more of them in The Dark Days Pact!
She smiled, a rare impishness making her seen far younger than her twenty years. “And, in truth, being your Terrene is not too far from what I’m doing now, is it? I’m to keep you well and safe, and maybe stab you in the hand now and then.”
Helen laughed. “Darby!”
(07) Gemina: Hanna, Nik & Ella – The amount of snark, sass and sarcasm that came out of these three’s mouth was amazing. I loved it when Ella and Hanna ganged up on Nik and when Ella is grossed out by the cuteness of Hanna and Nik.
Nik M: i have a headache
Hanna D: get thee to the reactor core and maybe someone’ll kiss it better.
Nik M: OMGOMW
Pauchok (Ella): >_>
(08) The Summer Bride: Daisy & Flynn – Before they were lovers, they were friends. I loved that their relationship is built on friendship. And they are so freak’n adorable together!
“Something botherin’ you, sweetheart? I thought you liked flowers?”
“Don’t call me that!” I’m not your sweetheart!”
“Something botherin’ you, my little hedgehog?”
(09) The Winner’s Kiss: Kestrel, Arin and Roshar – I loved this hilarious trio. They have an interesting dynamic and I loved the humour they brought to the book.
A smile tugged the corner of Arin’s mouth. The air was gritty with sawdust. “After everything,” he told Kestrel, “I wouldn’t let you be harmed by a tree.”
“Me,” Roshar said pointedly. “You mean me.”
(10) Stars Above: The Lunar Chronicles gang (Cinder, Kai, Scarlet, Wolf, Cress, Thorne, Winter & Jacin) – So this is probably kinda cheating, since this book is a collection of novellas, but how could I resist not talking about one of my favouritest groups of friends! I love that this book has an epilogue so we all get to see a little more them (:
“Having fun down there?”
“Surprisingly, I sort of am. Turns out Thorne has a weird knack for this wedding thing. He says it’s because Cress has been pouring over wedding feeds for the past few months, but…I think he’s secretly enjoying it.”
Thorne’s voice booming from the sitting room: “Don’t mock a guy for having good taste!
- Clark and Tom
- Jane, G and Edward
- The rebel gang
Remember to link me up to your top ten!
And don’t forget to enter the MIDWINTER’S EVE hop to win a book of your choice!
a bum a student again. A master’s student…oooh. procrastinator. reader. eater. sleeper. music listen-er. movie go-er. Loves food too much.